Friday, May 15, 2015

I miss my job

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE being an event coordinator. Its awesome! I get to make people's dreams come true. I am selected for my patience, keen eye for detail, and an imagination for wonder in the world of event design. I love my job. I love owning my own business. But there are a few things that I could do without. Let's talk about that.

Here is the thing... as an event coordinator, I have orchestrated over 150 events, most of which were weddings. I have seen so many smiling faces, its no wonder that I chose this for a career. I wanted to work for myself, be there for the kids, and bring in an income. The hours and the work are completely sporadic. The work is tedious and hectic. People change their minds in an instant. The only thing that keeps me going in this business is my want to make others smile. I haven't had an event in almost eight-teen months. 

Granted, I haven't exactly been putting myself out there. I don't really have the time to do it right now. I wish I did, but the fact is I don't. I would be nice to figure out what it will take to get my business back up and running. How about we do that now:
  • How much will it cost to get the sun room to be a home office?
    • Paint
    • Shelves
    • Nice Desk
    • Chairs
    • Small 2 sofa seating area
    • Filing system, and all of the stuff to go with it
  • How much will it cost to start my own website?
    • Design
    • Up keep
  • How can I get back to doing events if I don't have my portfolio up to par?
    • Pro-bono events?
    • Severely reduced rates?
    • Hard core networking?
  • How much will it cost in legal fees, taxes and other things I'm not thinking of?
    • Get an accountant and an attorney?
  • What are my goals for my company?
    • 1 month?
    • 3 months?
    • 6 months?
    • 9 months?
    • 1 year?
    • 18 months?
    • 2 years?
    • 3 years?
  • What do I enjoy about owning my own business?
    • I make my own hours.
    • I am my own boss.
    • I get to work with clients on a one-on-one basis.
    • I work from home. 
  • What is not enjoyable about owning my own business?
    • Its really easy to get lazy...
    • because I am my own boss.
    • I have to find clients,
    • but its hard because I work from home.
  • What can I do to change this?
    • Create an office space that is strictly for work between certain hours.
    • Always get dressed for work.
    • Research a way to market better
    • And really stick to "work" space, and "home" space
  • When can I realistically approach this?
    • Not anytime soon.
    • After the kids are all  on a regular school day schedule. 
    • So.. in about 3 years. Fun stuff.
Needless to say, I'm rather upset about the fact that I haven't had an event in a year and a half. Its really getting to me. Being a stay at home mom is fun, and rewarding... but it would be nice to get back to work. Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment